- Had an optometrist appointment today. I am grateful to learn I have 20/20 vision. The optometrist said my eyes are in great condition and my eyesight is great, but reading glasses will help with my light sensitivity. Basically, my vision is so perfect it hurts.
- I am grateful for modern medicine. In the words of Tim Minchin: “You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.”
- I am grateful for running water. It’s sometimes kinda weird to think about the fact that 100 years ago today — 1912 — running water was not a given. Hell, even more recently than that, to be completely historically accurate. Toilets, sinks with running water, dishwashing machines, clothes washing machines –still uncommon. I’m really grateful I’m not making my way out to an unlit outhouse with no insulation in the middle of the freezing dark night to shit in a pot.
- I am grateful for my animals. Fiona Apple canceled her music tour to go home and care for her 14 year old dying dog. Reading her letter about the situation is just heartbreaking, and reminds me to appreciate my sweet wonderful pets all the more.
- I am grateful I am married to a like-minded man. In the early years of our marriage, I thought he was all conservative religious mormon boy, and whenever I was disgusted or angered by some social injustice, I would bite my lip and not bitch about it because I didn’t want to fight with him. Ironically, I later learned that he was doing the same thing — he thought I was all conservative religious mormon mama, so he bit his lip about his atheism and pro-LGBT views. It all came out during this really horrific storm in 2006, while John and I were separated. He came by my apartment to check on me and ended up staying the whole night and into the next day while we talked about everything that had gone south in our marriage. Anyway, long story short, now when a social injustice upsets me, I can talk to my husband about it. This gratitude occurs to me today because we’ve spent the whole week raging about the damage Black Friday does to both employees and consumers, and it’s just nice to have someone to talk to who’s as strigently anti-Black Friday in all this mad mess of people who are either pro-Black Friday or neutral (ignorant) as to the problems it causes.