- My cats. They’re cool. They make me smile. I love the way Dmiters (nickname for Dmitri. See also: Dmitri-kins, Puddums, and Fat Bastard) head butts me for pets and cuddles. I love the way Arwen kneads my arms and belly, and the way she bats at my face or hand when she wants pets. I love the way Hope licks my hand, and when she’s in a particularly groom-ey mood, she hold onto my hand with her paw to prevent me from moving it. I love these cats so much.
- My hometown. There’s a country song with these lyrics: Where I was born, where I was raised./ Where I keep all my yesterdays. I just googled it; it’s by Montgomery Gentry. I’m not normally a big fan (at all) of country music, but those two lines — and these two: Where I came back to settle down, / It’s where they’ll put me in the ground: — perfectly illustrate how I feel about this town. I love it. I love everything about this town. I love the roads I know like the back of my hand, the parks (both obvious and hidden), the lakes and forests and rivers and streams. I love the restaurants and stores and the laid-back, alternative, stoner-esque attitude. I may grump about “goddamn stoners in the park,” or about “smelly hippies,” but deep down I’d rather have our unwashed, dreadlocked, stoner hippies over wall-street suited yuppies. I love this town.
- It didn’t rain today. The long summer is finally winding up, and our 80 degree heat streak is shifting into the cool 60’s. However, it’s not raining yet. I love this time of year, when the temperatures are cooling but still pleasant for outdoor activities, and when the air smells sweetly of rain and cut grass and fallen leaves, but there’s no rainfall yet. It was dry out today, with a cool grey sky stretching overhead and just the hint of a nip in the air.
- Financial security. I’m not a hugely material person, by and large. I mean, I like material things that add to the comfort of my life, everyone does. But I’m not one of those people who thinks material things are the only (or even best way) of showing affection and love. That said, I love being more financially secure. Out of the house, away from the 30 minute gas-sucking commute, and in a town where there’s actual business competition, so prices self-regulate. I love it. I love affordable groceries, affordable gas, and commutes that are under 15 minutes (driving for me, walking distance for John). I think our car is breaking down, and for the first time in years we have savings in the bank. It’s crazy.
- A painting I bought. I like puns. I like paintings. I like the Beatles. Today I found a painting with all three, and I bought that glorious painting because I could. It will go on my wall, next to some shadow boxes, and it will make me smile every day. Because owl you need is love.
Unrelated: Calorie counter for day
- Breakfast: Two hard-boiled eggs, 1.5 cup coffee, 2 tbls half n half. 185 cal.
- Lunch: 1/2 Grilled chicken cesar spinach wrap, 1 cup fresh fruit, 1 small square carrot cake. 720 cal.
- Snack: 1 pack fruit snacks. 80 cal.
- Dinner: 1 Lean Cuisine hot pocket (broccoli & chicken): 290 cal.
- Snack: 1 Greek yogurt: 160
That’s within my goal range (between 1,200 – 1,500/ day), but still over what I was shooting for. Damn carrot cake.